Cat lovers understand that a significant component of living with these pets is dealing with shedding. The kitty fur could be on its favorite sleeping spot or anywhere around the house. For example, you can find pull a shirt from fresh laundry and find cat hair on it.
However, you should understand this problem and know how to manage it to maintain hygiene around the house and ensure that your pet does not have underlying health issues. Diet has a strong connection with shedding. Therefore, recognizing the best cat food for shedding is the best way to win this battle.
Cat owners can find multiple options when searching for foods that can prevent their cats from losing their fur. However, they should understand that every cat is unique and can respond differently to the same product. Consequently, veterinarians advise them to consider various factors to determine whether the food is healthy and safe for their pets or not. These elements include;
The Manufacturing Company’s Reputation
Pet owners should ensure that the product they purchase for their cats comes from an established, reputable, and trustworthy company. These popular firms are more likely to make the food using evidence-based formulations and at the same time observe high-quality standards.
Considering the product’s ingredients is important because your cat could be allergic to some items. Ensure that the production company has tested the nutritional content and put the results on the label. Ensure that the food is free from pollutants, mold toxins, or disease-causing pathogens.
The Cat’s General health
The cat’s health status is a significant factor to consider when choosing the best food to prevent excessive hair loss. Veterinarians indicate that this product determines the animals’ response to different foods. Ensure that your cat does not have underlying conditions that could interfere with the food’s reaction after consumption.
Considering the food’s nutrient levels is an excellent decision because it can protect your pet from potential illnesses and allergies. For example, some products have extremely nutrient levels that can even kill the cat. As a pet owner, you should understand that what helps another cat might not help yours. Consult with a veterinarian to understand the nutrients that are safe for your cat before purchasing the food.
Considering whether the cat food is species-appropriate means checking whether the product matches the pet’s digestive system. Cats are obligate carnivores and cannot depend on plant diet alone. Therefore, ensure that the food you buy also contains nutrients from animal sources.
The following are the best foods to feed your shedding cat;
1. Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein
This cat food contains high-quality ingredients that optimize the cats’ body masses and help them have healthy lifestyles. It has almost similar protein levels with natural prey. The manufacturing company prepares it in the United States but source the ingredients from other regions, including Canada.
It uses gelatin instead of the regular legumes to make the food appear like crunchy kibble. Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein cat food is among the best cat food for shedding because it is also grain-free. Its ingredient combination has a high biological value and is appropriate for improving the cat’s body condition.
- It does not contain different artificial ingredients like preservatives and flavors
- Has a high protein level of approximately 67%
- Has high fiber content which prevents constipation in cats
- Does not contain artificial colors
- Easily digestible due to its protein levels
- Low carbohydrate content prevents blood sugar peaks
- It dehydrates the cat
- Increases its chances of developing infections in its lower urinary tract
- The dried eggs contain high cholesterol levels
2. Hill’s Science Diet
This cat food also helps to control excess shedding in cats. Its primary ingredients include chicken, pork liver, and water. It is more appropriate for adult cats. This cat food is also an excellent source of natural fiber. It helps the pets develop healthy skin and have fewer hairballs. This wet food is manufactured in the US with natural ingredients from different regions in the world.
- Provides adequate magnesium to promote the health of the cat’s urinary system
- Reduces the chances of more hairballs occurring
- Contains taurine to improve the cat’s heart function and vision
- Has a perfect balance of nutrition and excellent taste
- The cat food includes a balanced diet for cats between one and six years
- Free from preservative and artificial components like flavors
- Contains vitamin E and different antioxidants to strengthen the pet’s immune system
- Can deteriorate the cat’s health if consumed during pregnancy
- Becomes less effective as the cat grows older
3. Purina ONE Hairball Formula Adult Dry Cat Food
If your cat is shedding its fur tremendously, you should consider purchasing the Purina ONE Hairball Formula Adult Dry cat food to solve this problem. The primary ingredient in this product is chicken. It also has a protein level of approximately 34%.
Veterinarians recommend this product as one of the best cat food for shedding because it contains additional ingredients that strengthen the pet’s fur and prevent its hair from falling off more than normal. However, other people believe that Purina ONE Hairball Formula Adult Dry Cat Food is basic and contains cheap starches.
- Appropriate for cats of all ages
- Contains antioxidants to strengthen the pet’s immune system
- Has a high fiber content of approximately 4.5% to reduce hairballs
- Offers a balanced diet for grown cats
- It is easily digestible due to its natural fiber content
- Contains several questionable ingredients, such as corn gluten, soybean meal, and rich flour
- Contains potential allergens, such as beef fat
- Its level protein is lower than average
- Dangerous for cats with beef and soy allergies
4. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Hairball Control Cat Food
Veterinarians recommend this food type for cats with skin and coat issues. You should also consider it if your cat is having hairball problems. One unique feature about this formula is that it has fewer calories than other foods, which means that your pet can have a strong fur and healthy weight at the same time.
In addition, it contains multiple nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants. This combination is effective in repairing the damaged coat and preventing excessive hair loss. The natural fibers also monitor the growth and development of hairballs.
- Manufactured using natural ingredients
- Healthy for the cat since it does not contain artificial flavors or colors
- The ingredients create a balanced diet
- Supports the per internally and externally
- Appropriate for all breed sizes
- Extremely dry and can lead to constipation
- The kibbles are not strong enough to hold for a long time
- They are too big to fit in some cats’ mouths
- Dry kibble food made with natural fibers to comfortably reduce hairballs in adult cats
- Packed with vitamin E plus omega-3s & -6s to give your adult cat healthy skin & fur
5. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Cat Food
This food is among the best cat food for shedding because it contains chicken rich in protein. This ingredient helps the pets build lean muscles. The food formula also contains different fruits and vegetable ingredients that make the pet healthier.
Blue Wilderness High Protein also has fatty acids, Omega 3, and Omega 6, which make them an appropriate choice for cats losing hair abnormally. They help these pets develop healthy and strong fur or skin. Therefore, the ingredient combination proves that this cat food is the secret to strong hair, and cat owners should purchase it.
- Has a high protein content that improves the cat’s coat
- It is all-natural and does not contain additives
- Contains minerals and antioxidants to strengthen the pet’s immune system
- Does not contain preservatives or artificial flavors
- Appropriate for cats of all sizes and ages
- It is tasty for the cats
- It causes the cats to develop bladder stones
- Has limited ingredients
6. Royal Canin Feline Health for Hairballs
Cat food manufactured by the Royal Canin brand is an excellent food option for cats that are shedding excessively. Royal Canin Feline Health for Hairballs comes in three sizes suited for cats with different eating habits. It contains fatty acids that nourish the skin and make the coat healthier than before.
Additionally, the dietary fiber found in the ingredients facilitates the movement of hair through the digestive system. The pet can easily grasp or eat this product because the manufacturers created a unique design that fits the cats’ mouths.
- Has dietary fibers that control hairball development
- Contains fatty acids that boost the skin and fur’s health
- Includes all the necessities in a cat’s balanced diet
- Comes in triangular-shaped kibbles that are easy to pick and eat
- Too hard for older cats to eat
- Recent formula changes have interfered with the quality
- Not very helpful for cats that have lost a lot of hair
7. Weruva Grain-Free Canned Wet Cat Food
The Weruva Grain-Free Canned Wet Cat Food is the right diet product for a pet shedding abnormally. It contains the right protein, fat, and carbohydrates levels from natural ingredients. For example, the manufacturers often use shredded meats and pumpkin soups to prepare it.
This product is an excellent choice for cat parents because it promoted a healthier, stronger, and shinier coat. Additionally, the ingredients are safe and less likely to trigger allergies. Veterinarians indicate that this food is more appropriate for grown cats that weigh ten pounds or more.
- Originates from natural ingredients
- Has excellent hydration levels
- Appropriate for cats with kidney diseases
- Contains high protein levels for healthier skin and muscles
- Has an appetizing odor to attract the pets
- Low fat and carb levels help to manage the animals’ weight
- Free from preservatives
- Not appropriate for cats with chicken allergies
- The chunks in the fish formula are too big to fit in a cat’s mouth
8. Blue for Cats Adult Dry Cat Food
Cat parents dealing with excessive fur loss should consider this healthy diet option for their pets. Veterinarians recommend this food because it does not contain grain or gluten. Additionally, the ingredients are all-natural and less likely to cause allergies.
It is an excellent choice for indoor cats. The manufacturers use shredded chicken breast to create an end product with high protein levels. Moreover, low iodine also solves digestive issues. A cat that consumes BLUE for Cats Adult Dry Cat Food does not need to consume additional supplements to strengthen its coat.
- Controls shedding and at the same time heals urinary tract issues
- Contains high protein levels for strong muscles and coat
- Minimizes hairballs
- Contains vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients vital for a balanced diet
- Solves multiple health issues
- The nutrients strengthen the pet’s immune system
- Food product has questionable quality control
- Not safe for cats with protein allergies
9. Nature’s Variety Instinct Grain-Free
You should consider purchasing this product for your cat if it is shedding excessively and loves wet food. One of the best things about this food is that it comes in different can sizes, and the cat parent can choose the one that suits their pet’s size and eating habits.
It is also grain-free and contains many proteins because the manufacturers use chicken to prepare it. The brand sources the chicken responsibly to ensure that the cat food is safe, nutritious, and healthy. It is available in different flavors, including chicken, salmon, beef, and rabbit. Other ingredients include vegetables and fruits.
- It offers a balanced diet
- Has a delicious taste and pate texture
- Comes in different flavors
- Contains zero fillers
- Contains wholesome ingredients
- The animal proteins strengthen the fur and muscles
- Offers balanced nutrition
- The pate texture is inconvenient for some cats
10. Diamond Naturals High Protein Cat Food
Diamond Naturals use cage-free chicken to manufacture this food for cats with a shedding problem. The brand also uses fruits, meat, and veggies in the preparation. The product is an excellent source of omega fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
These nutrients nourish the cat’s skin and coat and prevent the fur from falling off abnormally. In addition, the food is chewable, which makes it easier for the cats to enjoy. It also improves digestion and prevents the pet from puking.
- High-quality and affordable
- Does not contain artificial flavors or preservatives
- Does not have fillers
- Made through natural ingredients
- Contains valuable nutrients that boost the health of the cat’s coat hair
- Easily digestible
- Made through trusted and high-quality ingredients
- Facilitates the development of lean muscles for active cats
- Can trigger allergies, especially in sensitive pets
- Some cats dislike the taste
- Some cat parents hate the smell of this food
- Causes the cat poop to have a bad smell
In conclusion, excessive shedding in cats is an issue that cat owners should not ignore. Veterinarians indicate that improving the pet’s diet is an excellent solution to this problem. The market offers different options, and you should consider your cat’s health, the food’s ingredients, and the company producing the supplements before buying it.
The above information proves that each item has its advantages and disadvantages. However, Dr. Elsey’s clean protein is the most recommendable cat food for shedding because it contains adequate nutrients that strengthen the cat’s skin and fur. Additionally, the animal-based nutrients and ingredients, such as dried eggs, pork protein isolate, and gelatin, are valuable for shiny cat fur.