A dog isn’t just a pet, they’re a member of the family. When it comes to feeding our family, we all want to know we’re making healthy choices. To help with that, we’ve put together a guide on the 8 best dog foods for Great Danes.
Let’s dive in and discuss how you can choose the best food for your dog and go over our carefully crafted recommendations.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose the Right Food
Buying dog food can be overwhelming when there are so many options and you aren’t sure what to look for. To help ensure you make the right choice let’s go over the four factors you should consider when making the decision.
The first factor you should consider is what ingredients are in the food.
Ingredients appear in their weight order, so the first item listed is the main ingredient. Typically, quality dog food will have a meat option as the first ingredient. While Great Danes and all dogs can eat more than solely meat, good dog food will have a higher percentage of meat.
Dog Food Category
A quick glance in the dog food section will reveal that there are foods for all ages and types of dogs. Great Danes will do best with a food that’s formulated for large breeds. Once you find the large breed category you can narrow it down farther depending on your Great Dane’s age.
Most brands have options that are specifically formulated for different age groups. Pay special attention to this if your Great Dane is a puppy or entering their senior years. Those two age groups can benefit hugely from a healthy and balanced diet.
Great Danes are a little different than many other dog breeds. As a puppy, you do not want to feed them standard puppy food unless it is specifically formulated for giant breeds. Typically, most people will simply feed their Great Dane puppy an adult large dog breed food.
Check into the reputations of the brands you’re considering.
What are people saying in reviews? Do vets recommend the brand? Once you have an overall view of the brand you’ll be in a better position to make an informed choice.
Keep in mind that older brands aren’t always better.
Company Promise and Customer Service
Another way to judge the nature of a brand is to see what promises they make and how well their customer service team performs.
Do they offer a money-back guarantee if the food isn’t right for your dog? Are they quick to respond to concerns and complaints? Do they have a track history of operating with their customers in mind?
A brand that doesn’t measure up in these areas may not have the best interests of your Great Dane at heart.
8 Best Dog Foods for Your Great Dane
If you don’t have the time to look up each brand in your quest to choose the best option, don’t worry. We have you covered with this list of the 8 best dog foods for Great Danes. Here are our recommendations to keep your dog full and healthy.
1. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
First up, we have the Life Protection Formula by Blue Buffalo. It’s specifically formulated for large breeds of dogs and is highly praised by dog owners.
Overall, dog owners report far more pros than cons. The major selling point of this food is that it has a range of wholesome ingredients. That provides your dog with the balanced diet they need to thrive.
- No corn, wheat, or soy.
- The first ingredient is deboned chicken.
- Other major ingredients include whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Helps support bone development and maintenance.
- It promotes lean muscles and joint health.
- Smells like real chicken.
- Dogs are excited about the food.
- Some owners report stomach trouble.
- It’s a pricey brand.
- The food has a greasy texture.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- LARGE BREED DOG FOOD: Specially formulated for the wellness of adult large breed dogs, BLUE Life Protection Formula Large Breed dry dog food contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support joint health and overall mobility of bigger dogs
2. Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe with Real Turkey Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Dry Dog Food
Second on our list is this Limited Ingredient Formula from Instinct. It’s the perfect option if your Great Dane has dietary restrictions or a sensitive stomach.
The majority of consumers have excellent feedback to give about this food. The one drawback seems to be with the design. Many users report that the bag comes unsealed very easily, which can lead to issues, especially if it’s being shipped.
While that’s something to keep in mind, it’s a small price to pay if your Great Dane has food sensitivities.
- Perfect for sensitive stomachs.
- No dairy, soy, wheat, corn, eggs, or potatoes.
- Made with cage-free turkey.
- Relieves constipation issues.
- Highly recommended for dogs with allergies.
- Inconsistency in color and shape.
- The food is small and can be swallowed whole.
- Poor bag design.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD FOR DOGS WITH SENSITIVITIES: Instinct Limited Ingredient dog food is made with 1 protein & 1 vegetable. No grain, dairy, eggs, chicken, beef, fish, sweet potato, potato, chickpeas, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors or preservatives.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD WITH CAGE FREE TURKEY: Crafted for dogs with food allergy, our Limited Ingredient Diet is made with simple ingredients like cage free turkey, a healthy, easily digestible protein that provides all of the essential amino acids to thrive.
3. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food Large & Giant Breed Adult
This Natural Dry Dog Food from Holistic Select is marketed at dogs over 50 pounds. The chicken meal and oatmeal recipe is packed with delicious goodness and that’s not all.
If you’re looking for a natural brand this is a great choice. It’s packed with protein to keep your Great Dane fit and active. There are multiple flavors available in this line, so you can experiment to see which your dog prefers.
- Supports digestive and immune health.
- The finest globally sourced ingredients.
- Contains 24% crude protein.
- Doesn’t contain gluten or peas.
- Maintains muscles without adding excess weight.
- The price has risen several times.
- The food expands in water which can cause bloating.
- DIGESTIVE HEALTH: Optimal levels of protein plus prebiotics and probiotics, digestive enzymes, and dietary fiber in this dog food enhance digestion for your large breed dog
- HEALTHY HIPS AND JOINTS: Calcium, phosphorus, glucosamine and chondroitin maintain bone strength and joint health
4. Royal Canin Giant Puppy Dog Food
As we mentioned earlier, Great Dane puppies have a different set of needs than full-grown dogs. This Giant Puppy Food was designed to meet those needs and ensure your puppy grows up to be big and strong.
If you’re looking for puppy-friendly food for large breeds, this is a great option. Pay careful attention to the feeding instructions on the bag as they differ depending on the puppy’s age.
- Encourages bone growth.
- Has 32% protein.
- Low calorie content to maintain weight.
- Helps with sensitive digestion.
- Formulated to promote healthy growth in large breeds.
- Contains corn.
- Includes meat by-product.
- Some consumers report stomach trouble.
- FORMULATED FOR GIANT PUPPIES: Royal Canin Giant Puppy Dog Food is tailor-made for puppies up to 8 months old with an expected adult weight of over 100 lb
- PUPPY NUTRITION: Meets the needs of large breed dogs during their uniquely extended growth period through key nutrients
5. Purina Pro Plan Focus Giant Breed Dog Food
This High-Protein Dog Food is produced by Purina. It provides the high-quality ingredients a Great Dane needs and boasts real meat as its first ingredient.
This is one of the more budget-friendly options on our list but that doesn’t reflect in the quality. The food contains a good mix of healthy ingredients and the perfect amount of protein for Great Danes.
- A more budget-friendly option.
- 26% protein, and 4.5% fiber.
- 383 calories per cup, which is optimal for weight control.
- The food is large which slows down fast eaters.
- Supports healthy joints in aging dogs.
- Some dogs become gassy.
- Loose stool has been reported.
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Giant Breed Dry Dog Food for Hip & Joint Care, Chicken & Rice Formula
- Glucosamine and EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, for joint health and mobility. High protein formula, with real chicken as the first ingredient
6. Wellness Complete Health Large Breed Dog Food
Wellness Complete Health is aimed at large dog breeds. It’s an all-natural dog food with tons of tasty ingredients.
This formula aims to reduce digestive problems in large breeds. It’s easy on the stomach and comes in three different types to cater to different ages. If you’ve noticed excessive flatulence in your Great Dane this could be the solution.
- The whole food formula supports the whole body.
- It has no corn, wheat, or soy.
- Contains deboned chicken, ground brown rice, and barley peas.
- Filled with easily digested carbohydrates.
- Produces less flatulence in Great Danes.
- Poor bag design that prevents proper sealing.
- High priced for a non-grain free food.
- LARGE BREED ADULT DRY DOG FOOD: Nutritionally dense crunchy kibble with ingredients such as chicken and brown rice for whole body health
- ALL NATURAL: Created by nutritionists, veterinarians and animal lovers, our recipes provide an ideal balance of nature's finest ingredients, carefully selected to nourish and sustain your dog's wellbeing
7. Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
Taste of the Wild is produced by Diamond Pet Foods. The company was started by dog lovers who wanted to bring affordable, high-quality dog food to the masses.
This is a wonderful option if you’re looking for an affordable wet food that’s Great Dane approved. Real meat, Vitamin A, and moisture come together to create a tasty and healthy blend.
- The 82% moisture content makes it easily digestible.
- All flavors are grain free.
- Real meat ingredients include beef, venison, and lamb.
- Contains Vitamin A which supports the immune system.
- Consumers report that the can size has been reduced.
- Shedding has been reported.
- Contains 3 cans of each Flavor: Wetlands, Pacific Stream, High Prairie, Sierra Mountain
- For All Life Stages
8. Hill’s Science Diet Healthy Mobility Large Breed Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet is made with mobility in mind. The goal is to keep large dogs healthy and moving for years to come.
This formula provides your Great Dane with the joint support and caloric content they need to stay mobile. It’s a great choice for dogs with mobility issues or those who are advanced in age.
- Supports joint health for increased mobility.
- 28% protein.
- 10% moisture.
- A safe source of high energy.
- Contains fish oil to reduce joint inflammation.
- The bag doesn’t reseal properly.
- The food is too large for some automatic feeders.
- There’s a very strong smell.
- A dry large-breed dog food to support hip & joint health from day 1
- Supports improved joint health in big dogs with EPA from fish oil
All 8 of these dog foods are great options for your Great Dane, but we can only put one in first place. We’ve chosen Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula because of its well-balanced formula. It contains all of the meat, veggies, fruits, and grains your dog needs to thrive.
We hope our carefully picked recommendations and handy buyer’s guide are helpful in your search for the perfect food.