The best thing about getting a new puppy is the joy and happiness they bring to your life. You will find yourself laughing more, feeling less stressed, and having someone greet you when you get home. Puppies are like kids; they need lots of things around their house for them to be happy and healthy! We have compiled a list of twelve things you need for a puppy and their benefits so that you can make sure your pup has everything he or she needs.
1. Dog Crate
Among the most important things, you need for a puppy is a crate! A crate will be your dog’s safe place to go when you do not supervise them. It prevents them from getting into things like shoes or plants, chewing on things like electrical cords, and helps keep them out of trouble when you are not able to supervise them. A crate will be a place of comfort for your puppy and provide them with a sense of security.
A tip to make the crate even more comfortable is to throw a blanket over it. That way, it is dark, and they can feel secure under the cover. This will also prevent you from having to buy multiple crates as your puppy grows.
- Newly enhanced with added security features to keep your pet safe | Slide-bolt door latch now feature patented Paw Block and locking tips to create a safer, more secure home for your pet
- iCrate double door dog crate measures 30L x 19 x 21 inches and is suitable for medium dog breeds with an adult weight of 25 to 40 pounds. If your dog’s weight or measurements are on the higher side for this crate, we recommend buying the next crate size up
Puppies need to get their teeth brushed because it will prevent plaque and tartar from building up on their teeth, making them more susceptible to dental disease (and no one wants that). Brushing your pup’s teeth daily with pet-safe toothpaste will also help freshen their breath!
If the idea of putting toothpaste on your pup’s little toothbrush doesn’t appeal to you, there are many pet-friendly sprays that can be used instead. These sprays can also relieve anxiety, much like a crate would.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY GUMS - Dog dental kit is gentle yet effective in reducing tartar buildup, eliminating dog's bad breath, and whitening and brightening your dog's teeth
- MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Natural ingredients ensure optimal dental health for your dog with the flavor of a tasty banana treat he or she will love
3. A Comfy Place To Sleep
Puppies and dogs, in general, need a comfortable place to sleep and rest after a long day of chasing their tails! There are many options for beds these days. You can get something that is plush and soft or something that is more firm to support your pooches joints. There are also orthopedic dog beds that will help keep your dog’s joints while they sleep. Also, don’t forget to buy a waterproof mattress cover so accidents won’t ruin the entire bed!
- CALMING DOG BED SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality Donut Cuddler cat and dog bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up. The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible, and finished with vegan faux shag fur, our warming luxury dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat. Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health. The uniquely designed CoziLOFTfibers keep their loft for up to 3Xs longer than standard pet beds.
4. Leash and Collar
Puppies need a leash and collar so you can take them outside to train them, as well as learn the basics of obedience training. You will want to find a leash that matches your dog’s personality, don’t forget they have lots of options from lightweight nylon to heavy-duty leather!
Collars also come in many different colors, styles, and materials so that you can find the perfect one for your pup’s personality. It is essential not to leave leashes or collars on your pup when there isn’t anyone watching them, and this could lead to the dog getting tangled up, which could be very painful for them.
- COMFORT: the Ladoogo dog collar is padded with soft neoprene. Extremely comfortable and breathable. Care your dog neck
- DURABILITY and CONVENIENCE: Made of durable nylon webbing, strong quick release buckle and metal D ring. Easy to adjust and put on or take off. All metal accessories are strong and rust-proof. Machine washable. Easy care for daily use
5. Food Dish and Water Bowl
Puppies need food and water to survive, so make sure they have something to eat out of (and don’t forget to keep their bowl full)! It is essential that you find a food dish that your dog can’t tip over because, believe it or not, dogs like to tip over their bowls. It’s a combination of their natural instinct to how much food they have left, and if they can’t see it, they will tip their bowl over to take a peek.
- Quality & Safety: the dog bowls are made of high-quality stainless steel with a high-end polished finish that makes them sturdier, more durable, and have better stain- and rust-resistant performance. Compared with plastic or ceramic dog bowls, this one is absolutely a better alternative
- Won’t Spill, or Slip: Silicone on the dog bowl bottom, which makes it grips the floor, so it keeps your bowl in place and protects your floors. Get these for dogs that like to push his bowl around. Besides, the bowl is deep enough to keep food and water in the bowl
Just like humans, dogs need food to survive. Make sure you buy the right type of dog food for your dog’s size and life stage! There are different types of dog foods for all sorts of life stages: puppy, adult, senior, etc. Also, keep in mind that large breeds will need larger kibble than smaller breeds do.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR ADULT DOGS: Blue Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin
Dogs love treats, so don’t forget to find some they will enjoy! You can buy small training treats or just something that your dog thinks is worth eating. These are great for rewarding good behavior and even as a substitute for taking them outside when you cannot supervise your pup’s activities.
Just like humans, dogs love treats! You can find lots of different types of dog food, including yogurt drops and bacon bits. These will make your pup’s day; just be sure you limit the number you give them, so they don’t get an upset stomach.
- RAWHIDE-FREE CHEWS: SmartSticks chews are easy to digest and 100 percent delicious.
- MADE WITH REAL PEANUT BUTTER: These SmartSticks chews are made with real peanut butter for a scrumptious taste your dog can’t resist.
8. Toys and Chews
Puppies love toys! They can entertain themselves with a simple toy for hours on end, so make sure you provide them with a variety of toys that will keep them entertained and out of trouble. You should also offer your pup some safe chew toys since puppies love to chew on things, and this is an excellent way to redirect their chewing towards something more appropriate (such as a bone).
- DURABLE, LONG-LASTING – Pint-sized super chewer? Bring it on. Benebones are tougher than real bones and last for weeks.
- REAL BACON! – We use only 100% REAL BACON for flavor. Trust us, dogs can tell the difference.
9. Puppy Tag IDs
Puppies love to chew on their tags, so it is important that you get them an ID tag made out of metal instead of plastic or cloth. The best material for dog tags is brass or stainless steel because they are non-toxic and will not cause any harm if your puppy decides to put them in their mouth after chewing off the color coating.
- GREAT IDENTIFICATION FOR YOUR DOG & CAT - When it comes to durability and quality our stainless steel tag holds up to the most active pet. To see all our pet ID products, click on our brand name GOTAGS above the product listing title.
- FAR STRONGER THAN ALUMINUM TAGS AND LESS PRONE TO WEAR, stainless steel lasts longer and is unlikely to wear thin and break like aluminum tags. The laser engraving is clear, permanent, and attractive on a polished mirror-finish surface.
10. Grooming Tools
Grooming your puppy is also very important because it will help them get familiar with the feel of grooming tools, and it will allow you to be sure that they are healthy. You’ll need things like a brush (for short hair dogs), toenail clippers, nail file, shampoo & conditioner, ear cleaner, scissors (optional), and a dremel tool (optional). Make sure you also have a first aid kit on hand, just in case!
- 【ALL-IN -ONE】This dog grooming clippers also come with 11 tools: 1 × Pet clipper( included Battery),1 × AC Power Adapter,1 × Cleaning Brush,4 × Comb Attachments(3-6-9-12mm),1 × Stainless Steel Scissor,1 × Stainless Steel Comb,1 × Nail Clipper Kit,1 × Nail File.dog shears fit for All HAIRY PETS!
- 【LOW NOISE】 Pet clippers for dogs with Precision motor, low vibration and ultra quiet design, free it from work noise with only about 60 db, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid haircut any more. Powerful motor of professional dog clippers (the spindle of which is made of fine copper), not to clamp and hurt pet hair.
11. Poo Bags
Most dog owners will agree that when it comes to picking up after your dog, you can never have too many poo bags. Puppies don’t always know where they should go, so make sure you do them a favor and pick up their business! It’s always a good idea to have some poo bags on you when you’re walking your puppy, this way, you can easily clean up any messes that may happen by accident.
- BAG POOP BETTER: 9”x13” doggy bags keep your hands safe, and odor contained. More than enough capacity for large dogs! A customer recently said "I love these bags - much thicker than the ones you buy at the store. The scent is not overpowering."
- EARTH FIRST, PROFIT SECOND: 120 premium pet poo bags are included in each order. A total of 8 rolls that each include 15 dog bags and a 100% leak-proof guarantee. We use recycled materials in our packaging and roll cores because details matter.
12. A Car Seat/Carrier
Believe it or not, puppies can get carsick! Because of this, you will want to pick up a good car seat and carrier. These products come in different shapes and sizes, so find some that suit your needs and budget. Most pet owners agree that the most comfortable way for transporting your new puppy is with a seatbelt, so you should look for one that has this feature.
Car seats are not only good to keep your pup safe in the car, but they look very cute! If you plan on taking your dog on many car rides in the future, it may be a good idea to invest in a pet seat to ensure their safety.
- FOR SMALL DOG CAR SEAT-40 X 32 X 24 cm, Suitable for dogs cats and other pets less than 6kg puppy The dog car seat is a great to take your furry friend with you on the road, keeps your pet safe and secure when driving
- STURDY SUPPORT AND FALLING PREVENTION-Sturdy PVC frame bars ensure the whole seat is in shape at all time, you won't see a 14lbs puppy sit in crawling the front bar and this frame collapse! You will never worry about attention on pets while driving, more safety on road!
There are many things you’ll need to buy, but with this list, it should be easier for you to know the things you need for a puppy! Puppies need love and attention just like any other pet, but they can be a great way to teach responsibility. Puppies are not only entertaining, but they bring joy and happiness wherever they go! Remember these tips the next time you go out shopping for a new dog.