We want what is best for our dogs, but sometimes finding the right food is tricky. When feeding some smaller dogs like Yorkies, you have to think about fussiness and possible digestive issues. Your dog’s life stage and any health issues or allergies will also play roles in your choice.
The right food can ensure that your dog enjoys every meal and gets the nutrition they need to get through each day like a champion. Here are the eight best dog foods for Yorkies that will keep your little one healthy and happy.
The best dog foods for Yorkies feature formulations for toy and miniature breeds, along with high quality. These dogs have different needs from larger breeds, and the correct food will ensure that your dog gets off to a good start in life. Adjusting the dog’s food throughout the various life stages will help ensure better health and happiness.
A healthy Yorkie puppy will require a balanced, nutritious diet. Puppies grow quickly, requiring a balanced protein and fat ratio. You would do well to avoid puppy food containing any of the following:
- Artificial colors and flavors
- Meat meal
Your puppy will do best being transitioned to the new food over a few weeks, which helps prevent digestive upsets. Small meals three to four times daily on a regular schedule are the best overall option for Yorkie puppies, and free-feeding is also acceptable for puppies.
Mealtimes are excellent for bonding, particularly for anxious puppies. One of the best ways to build trust with your puppy is through feeding smaller amounts of puppy chow by hand. Another advantage of hand-feeding your puppy sometimes to helping to curb food aggression.
Adults should always eat appropriate food for fully-grown smaller dogs. Adult Yorkies are susceptible to knee problems and obesity. Feeding the correct serving sizes will help prevent weight fluctuations that lead to health problems.
Take your dog’s weight, activity level, and calorie needs in mind to ensure he receives an appropriate amount. Your dog’s portion sizes will change with age. An excellent way to prevent your dog from gaining excessive weight is to restrict the number of treats consumed.
Dogs customarily reach old age between eight and ten years old. However, health issues, mobility, and dietary habits are some criteria that veterinarians use to determine senior status. Your veterinarian will be able to provide greater clarity on whether your dog is a senior.
Older dogs require fewer calories because they have a lower energy level than younger dogs. Your senior Yorkie’s food needs to have all the necessary vitamins and minerals without taking on excess weight. A balanced diet that addresses the dog’s lower activity level makes a difference.
1. Iams Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken
Iams Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food meets the needs of adult small and toy breeds. Farm-raised chicken is the first ingredient, making the formula healthy for your pet. This nutritious option comes in 15-pound bags.
The chicken in this food is real rather than a by-product. Omega-6 fatty acids help keep the dog’s coat looking perfect. This food’s formula also contains antioxidants that provide a more robust immune system.
All of the proteins in the food come from quality sources. In addition to meeting nutritional needs for small dogs, this food also has veterinary recommendations.
- No artificial ingredients or fillers
- Provides immune support small breeds need
- Uses high-quality protein
- Includes Omega-6 fatty acids
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Bag seals are not always airtight
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. bag of IAMS Small & Toy Breed Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken
- 1st ingredient is real, farm-raised chicken
2. Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
Puppies’ nutritional needs are quite different from those of adult dogs. Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Breed Dry Food helps meet growing puppies’ needs well. This food meets the needs of Yorkie puppies between eight weeks and ten months old.
This Royal Canin food for Yorkie puppies features a shape helpful for the puppies’ tiny muzzles and small teeth. This food’s formula is rich in immune system-boosting antioxidants like Vitamin E. Ingredients that promote coat and skin health include biotin and Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. The high-quality ingredients include prebiotics that supports digestive health, include healthy stool quality, and offer a high protein level. Prebiotics promote a healthy digestive system. Quality ingredients are high in protein and aid in healthy stool quality.
- Formula promotes healthy digestion
- Healthy coat ingredients
- Antioxidants for immune health
- Kibble shape unique for puppies
- Contains chicken by-products
- Price is high in comparison to similar foods
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED YORKSHIRE TERRIERS: Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Yorkshire Terrier puppies 8 weeks to 10 months old
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Unique kibble shape is designed for a Yorkshire Terrier’s small muzzle and bite
3. Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice
Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice is high-protein and perfect for small or toy breeds. This food comes in five, six, or 18-pound bags. If flexibility in bag sizes matters, this food is a great choice to consider.
Live probiotics protect the digestive system and also boost immune health. This type of dog food has been around for a long time, formerly known as Focus Chicken and Rice Formula. As a Purina food, this product enjoys a lasting reputation.
- Features live probiotics
- Has real chicken as the first ingredient
- Ideal for active Yorkies of all ages
- Chicken and Rice formula with DHA
- Contains corn, which many avoid
- One (1) 5 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein Toy Breed Puppy Food DHA Chicken & Rice Formula
- Formulated high in protein to meet the needs of highly active toy breed dogs
4. Royal Canin Dry Dog Food Adult Yorkshire Terrier
Royal Canin Dry Dog Food Adult Yorkshire Terrier
Royal Canin for adult Yorkies is balanced and formulated for the needs of purebred Yorkshire Terriers between 10 months and eight years old.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and biotin provide lustrous, healthy coats. The fussiest Yorkies will be temped with a blend of delicious aromas and flavors. Kibble shape is enough, enabling easier chewing and removing tartar buildup.
- Contains no artificial colors
- Specialty kibble design for dental health
- Perfect for the fussiest eaters
- Contributes to healthy aging
- Ideal for good coat health
- Sometimes causes sickness
- Contains chicken by-products
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED YORKSHIRE TERRIERS: Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult Dry Dog Food is complete and balanced nutrition specially formulated to meet the needs of purebred Yorkshire Terriers 10 months to 8 years
- COAT HEALTH: Provides omega-3 and -6 fatty acids and biotin to maintain a healthy coat
5. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Small Paws for Small Breed Dogs
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Small Paws for Small Breed Dogs has a formula perfect for small breeds like Yorkshire Terriers. The versions of this food include chicken and rice or lamb and rice, for flavors that these dogs love.
The ingredients in this food are easily digestible for small dogs. The Vitamin E and Omega fatty acids help promote healthy skin with a luxurious coat. Protein helps preserve the lean muscle mass that keeps these dogs in top shape.
Toy breeds require healthy immune systems, and the antioxidants help provide this support. Science Diet contains no artificial additives. You’ll feel better about the natural ingredients that your dog will consume.
- Made with U.S.-sourced ingredients
- All-natural ingredients
- Immune system-boosting formula
- High-quality protein
- Easily digestible ingredients
- Contains essential fatty acids and Vitamin E
- Some fussy eaters will not touch this food
- An adult dog food made with highly digestible ingredients that are easy on your small dog's stomach
- Nourishing omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
6. Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult 8+ Dry Dog Food For Aging Dogs
Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult 8+ Dry Dog Food For Aging Dogs supports the needs of Yorkshire Terriers as they age by addressing the needs of dogs eight years and older. The combination of antioxidants helps support and maintain cellular health. There is 15% less phosphorus in this food, assisting with kidney health.
Biotin, along with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, helps keep your dog’s coat beautiful and healthy as he ages. These nutrients also help keep the dog’s skin healthier, offering greater protection from irritations.
This food has the density and texture ideal for Yorkies’ small jaws. Yorkies can chew this kibble more easily because of the small size. This food reduces tartar buildup and is also rehydratable.
- Balanced senior nutrition needs
- Unique shape for easier chewing
- Ingredients to support coat health
- Support for cellular health
- Some dogs have trouble with kibble size
- Expensive compared to other brands
- Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult 8+ Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the specific needs of, and support healthy aging in, senior purebred Yorkshire Terriers 8 years and older
- Supports and maintains cellular health with an exclusive combination of antioxidants, and helps deliver an appropriate, 15% lower phosphorus level than Yorkshire Terrier Adult, to help care for your senior Yorkshire Terrier’s kidney health
7. Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Shredded Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Shredded Formula Adult Dry Dog Food features chicken and rice or beef and rice formulas. This food has all the nutrients that small dogs need to thrive.
The small kibble has a taste and texture that dogs enjoy while being nutrient-rich. With chicken or beef being the first ingredients, you can feel confident about the quality of the food. Because the formula includes probiotics, your dog will have a healthy immune system and digestive tract.
- Includes helpful probiotics
- Has meat as a first ingredient
- Bite-sized kibble pieces
- Somewhat high-calorie
- One (1) 6 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Dog Food With Probiotics for Dogs, Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
- Nutrient-dense bite-sized kibble and small tender, shredded pieces for a taste and texture dogs love
8. Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult Breed Specific Wet Dog Food
Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Wet Food meets the nutritional needs of Yorkies aged ten months and older. This food is a loaf pate that appeals to small breeds with a tasty sauce.
Like other Royal Canin varieties, this food offers biotin, Omega-3, and Omega-6 fatty acids for a healthy, glossy coat. Your Yorkie will have the intestinal support needed because of the fiber content. This food may be served alone or mixed with Royal Canin Adult Yorkshire Terrier Dry Food.
- Healthy coat formula maintains coat
- Complete, balanced formula
- Soluable and isoluable fiber for better digestion
- Fussy eaters sometimes won’t touch it
- Expensive compared to other brands
- Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult wet dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Yorkshire Terriers 10 months and older
- Soft dog food featuring Loaf in Sauce for a paté that appeals to a Yorkie’s appetite
When reviewing the best dog foods for Yorkies, we found Iams Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food the best option because of the natural ingredients that include real chicken. This food was also the variety where dogs did not have any issues with being fussy. The only problem we encountered was that the bags were not always airtight.