The Best Small Doghouses of 2022
If you have a canine friend of the shorter variety and live in a place where winters can be harsh, you may be thinking about getting a dog house. Some people are against them, thinking back to the images of the sad dog left outside in the yard with only a dog house for comfort, forgotten by the family. But in practice, this is rarely the case. In truth, an outdoor shelter for your dog can be a good thing to have, especially if you leave your dog outside during the day.
A good dog house can provide protection from the elements and a place to relax out of the sun for a while, as well as give a fearful dog a safe place to hide and feel secure. Dog houses give your furry friend a comfortable place reminiscent of a den that he can call his own. However, there are several things to consider. If you have a small dog, he will have different shelter needs than a larger dog, and fearful dogs will likely need some adjustment time to get used to their new shelter.
Reasons to Get a Dog House
If you have decided that your furry friend needs his own place to chill, there are a few things to keep in mind. Remember that a dog should never be left outside alone in an un-fenced backyard, and even in a fenced yard, it should have regular supervision.
A doghouse is not a replacement for the warmth and security of the family home. As long as the dog is allowed to be part of the family by either coming inside at night, or by regular stimulation and interaction, there is no real harm in letting him have his own dog house out in the yard.
Dog houses can provide a number of advantages, but there are also some disadvantages to consider. Neglected dog houses can serve as wintertime refuges for unwanted wildlife and can deteriorate if not cleaned, so it’s important to keep them well-maintained.
An air-conditioned dog house provides an ideal place to relax, a safe place to nap, a place to escape the summer heat, and a place to shelter from thunderstorms in the afternoon. In the winter, dog houses provide a warm place to stay and protection from snow and rain. A dog house that is both heated and insulated is a cozy haven in the dead of winter. The best little dog houses are the ones that are easiest to maintain.
Top 7 Small Dog Houses
Dog houses of all sizes can be constructed from a variety of materials, each of which has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It is best to select a dog house that is appropriate for your dog’s needs as well as your own ability to maintain it.
Dog houses made of plastic are more likely than those made of wood to withstand the elements and the chewing of a gnawing dog, and they are also easier to disinfect and clean. While wood is a natural heat retainer in the winter, it should be sealed and sanitized before use due to its porous nature and potential for contamination.
DEStar Durable Waterproof Plastic Pet Dog House
Your little pooch will love this small dog house, especially in the summer months. The DEStar Durable Waterproof Plastic Pet Dog House, which measures 28.7 x 25.1 x 27.9 inches, is made of durable plastic and is sturdy and weatherproof. It has dual air vents in the front and back that allow for good air circulation, making it comfortable during the warmer months.
The dog house is also raised to allow for ventilation underneath, and water or mud from pooling inside. The roof is waterproof and detachable for easy cleaning. Finally, it is easy to assemble and install, requiring only basic tools. This is one of the best little dog houses, and most affordable, on Amazon.
- Suitable for outdoor and indoor use
- Easy to assemble
- No fan included
- May be too big for very small dogs
- LARGE & STURDY HOUSE - The dog house is large enough for dogs of different sizes; Please check the dimensions before buying; Overall Dimension: 28.7"(L)*25.1"(W)*27.9"(H); Door Dimension: 10.6"(W)*17.3"(H); The interior space is designed for small dogs; Made of sturdy and thick PP plastic that is anti-corrosive and anti-rust, it is durable to be used on outdoors places like patio and backyard
- VENTILATION DESIGN & CONSTANT TEMPERATURE - Designed with 2 vents at the front and back, the DEStar dog house ensures good circulation of air; The lovely dog can always breathe fresh air whatever the weather is outside; In addition, the double vents help to keep your dog feel cool in summer but warm in winter
Dog Palace DP Hunter Insulated Dog House
The DP Hunter weighs up to 25 pounds and measures 19 x 25 x 17 inches. It is intended for small to medium-sized dogs up to 25 pounds. It is made of plastic with foam insulation between the panels and a self-closing door to keep the dog’s natural body heat in while outside temperatures drop. Smaller dogs often have a difficult time staying warm in the winter, and this dog house includes a heating pad to help them stay warm.
Because all the materials are intended for outdoor use, the waterproof heating pad is completely safe for your dog to use. Additionally, the windows open to allow for ventilation, though they are not large enough to adequately cool the dog house without the door being opened as well, making this a difficult dog house to cool in the summer.
- Plastic construction
- Easy to clean; long-lasting;
- Comes with a heating pad
- Ventilation is difficult
Pet Life Hush Puppy Smart Pet House
The Hush Puppy is a small doghouse made of polyester and memory foam that is designed for small to medium-sized dogs. It measures 29.5 x 23.5 x 23.6 inches in size. It is not intended for outdoor use, but it is durable enough to be used in a closed-in patio or sunroom, or even in a garage if properly installed. Your dog will be comfortable in this bed because it has a built-in cooling and heating system that can be activated with a push of a button.
As the temperature rises, the doghouse is warmed by heating nodes that are built into the memory foam, and it is ventilated by a fan that is located in the back. This dog house is ideal for indoor dogs who need a place to relax on a patio or in the garage that is not exposed to the elements.
- Small and washable
- With heating and air conditioning
- Not intended for use outside
- The Pet Life Hush Puppy Electric Heating and Cooling Smart Cat and Dog House features an AC Powered Built-in Fan located Inside the Pet House that cycles Air and Cools the Interior at the simple push of a button and a Heated Dog Mat that heats the inner pad
- The Gel-Foamed Pad Features Electrical Warming Nodes that warm at the Push of a Button and converts into a heated pet mat
Petmate Barnhome III Dog House
The Petmate Barnhome III Dog House received a rating of 4 1/2 stars out of 5 on Amazon for being one of the simplest and most affordable dog houses for small dogs currently available on the market. It is made of vinyl and plastic, which makes it both durable and well-insulated. Aside from that, it’s simple to put together and simple to clean.
Its dimensions are 26.5 x 18 x 16.5″, and it is designed in the style of a barn, with air ventilation in the back and a roof guard to allow for fresh air to flow through the structure. They can accommodate dogs weighing up to 15 pounds and are simple to assemble with a snap-together design.
- Simple to clean
- Made of long-lasting vinyl and plastic
- Visually appealing
- Not suitable for dogs weighing more than 15 pounds
- OUTDOOR DOG HOUSE: This heavy duty barn style dog home features rear air ventilation slots & an extended roof guard for fresh air flow, weather protection & to keep pets dry. Accommodates pets up to 15 lbs
- EASY ASSEMBLY: The durable pet house is made of plastic with a mold-resistant finish and comes in two pieces that easily snap together. The outdoor pet house is also perfect for feral cats & strays
Aclumsy Small Dog House
This extremely well-constructed doghouse by Aclumsy is sturdy, made in a box shape with an open door on the side, and features a three-layered weatherproof roof. This canine shelter measures 25 x 25 x 29 for the smaller model and is constructed of treated wood panel walls. This dog house is made of fir, which resists rot and mold.
The roof keeps the wind and rain out in all seasons, but it does not feature in-house air conditioning, which, if important to you, will have to be added separately. The floor is elevated, which provides some circulation, although there is no flap on the door to keep out the elements from that angle. Still, it is well-designed, visually appealing, and easy to clean, making it a popular choice for many pet owners.
- Suitable for small breeds up to 20 lbs
- Easy to assemble
- No AC or heat
- Open door does not keep in warmth as well as other models
- 🐕【Cute & Classic Design】: The A-shaped dog house is a perfect pet house for small and medium dogs. Not only it is an ideal pet warm home for your beloved dog, but also for the unique decoration of your backyard.
- 🐕【Durable & Waterproof】: The wooden pet house has removeable asphalt rain roof on the left and right sides to prevent rain and snow from entering. The raised floor allows air to circulate below keeping the floor dry and comfortable.
Petsfit Portable Wooden Doghouse
Is it possible that you will be taking your small dog with you on an extended vacation or a visit with relatives, but you are concerned about where he will sleep? The Petsfit Portable Wooden Doghouse, which is also a portable doghouse, is exactly what you’ve been looking for. It is easily transportable in the back of a car or truck due to its compact size.
It is constructed of wood and is hinged along the sides, allowing it to be folded flat when not in use or when being transported to save space. When fully assembled, it can be used both outdoors and indoors, and it features a raised sleeping platform with a hinged roof that opens for easy cleaning, as well as an open doorway that allows your pet to get in and out with ease. The smaller version, which measures 19.7 x 19.7 x 19 inches, is made of solid natural log material that has been varnished with an environmentally friendly varnish to protect it.
- Might not last as long as permanent models
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED: No tools required, our patented indoor dog house(Patent Number:US10687510B2) can be easily assembled in seconds. Foldable design makes it easy to transport and store.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: The delicate indoor dog house is well constructed with solid fir wood, which is sturdy, durable and rot-resistant. It features a light natural color and is coated with eco-friendly varnish, showing the beauty of nature. If you want to personalize it, you can easily paint the wood to the color you like.
PawHut Pet House
The PawHut Pet House small dwelling is marketed for a variety of animals, including guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, and small dogs, among others. The dwelling has dimensions of 22 x 18 x 8 inches and is constructed of durable wood. In addition to having a weather-resistant asphalt roof that allows for easy cleaning access through a hinged door, it is elevated 3.25 inches above the ground and has an elevated floor, which helps to keep dampness and chill at bay.
The wood has been treated and is intended to withstand a wide range of outdoor weather conditions. It has a front door ramp that leads into the house and that can be folded up and secured in place to keep the animal inside the house. There are ventilation holes all around the walls, and the entire construction weighs only 10 1/2 pounds.
- Versatile for a variety of animals
- Especially small dogs
- Offers an access ramp
- Ventilation is not as good as other models
- Great Outdoor Protection: Durable wood with a pet-secured sealant to withstand most weather conditions and keep your small pet secured, this outdoor rabbit hutch is perfect for raising a small cat, rabbit, puppy, guinea pig and more.
- Easy Access: The front door ramp of this guinea pig cage leads to the living room, simply rotate the latch and lower the hatch door into a non-slip ramp to provide access to the outside.
If you have never purchased a dog house before, there are a few things you should keep in mind when making your decision. First and foremost, you should measure your dog while he is standing up straight, as well as from his nose to his rear end. Keep in mind that, unlike humans, who prefer a certain amount of open floor space in which to dwell, canines only require enough space to get in and out of easily, the ability to turn around and stretch out while sleeping, and the ability to crouch while sleeping.
It is possible that if the doghouse is too large, it will not be able to keep a small dog’s body heat in, and this may discourage him from using it in favor of another nook or cranny under your house that he prefers instead.
The dog house should be well ventilated, with the door open, and well insulated to keep the dog comfortable. This dog house should be long-lasting and able to withstand the elements in your area. People who live in warm, humid climates will most likely require a plastic dog house, whereas those who live in dry or errand environments will be able to use wood dog houses that will last longer.
Remember that, while humans may be concerned with appearances and prefer a trendy-looking dog house with a porch or other whimsical features, your dog is unlikely to care about such things and will be more concerned with functionality than anything else. The best little dog houses are the ones that fit your pet’s unique needs. Choose the one that is most appropriate for him and makes him feel at ease.