Your cat is a top priority, and as far as you’re concerned, the fur ball you serve deserves products nonpareil! So today, in service of your quest to become an A+ kitty caretaker, we’re breaking down the 10 best cat litter boxes for your four-pawed pal.
Litter Box Buying Guide: What Makes the Best Box?
What should you look for in a litter box? Part of the formula depends on your baby’s breed and the amount of available space. After all, the needs of a chunky Maine coon and tiny Singapura differ. But there are a few general features that set some litter boxes above the rest.
The last thing you want is a flimsy litter receptacle. Though many are temptingly inexpensive, cheap boxes disintegrate faster than a windswept dandelion. Plus, kitty bathrooms made of cheap plastic tend to crack easily — which can devolve into a messy litter avalanche all over your floor.
Cats bury their waste and send litter flying, so it’s best to have a box with high sides to keep things contained. However, one side — usually the front — should be low enough to enter and exit easily.
Easy to Clean
Litter box cleanliness is next to godliness. After all, neglected bins can lead to serious disease and even death. As such, you want a box that’s easy to scoop and wipe down. Nooks and crannies can be a nightmare to clean, so it’s almost always better to go with a clean box design.
Cover or Open?
Every cat parent must answer the big litter box question: covered or open? Conventional wisdom says that cats prefer open options, as they like to be aware of their surroundings. To them, a closed box may feel suffocating. But there are always exceptions to the rule, and many kitties appreciate the privacy of a covered lavatory.
Many veterinarians recommend having one litter box per cat, plus one extra. So, a one-cat household ideally should have two litter boxes, and a two-cat family should have three. So, get one of each and note your pet’s preference. If they use each box equally, go with the design that’s best for you.
10 Best Kitty Litter Boxes
#10: Litter Robot’s Self-Cleaning Litter Box With Wi-Fi
Litter Robot’s Self-Cleaning Litter Box With Wi-Fi is the Bentley of cat bathrooms. For starters, it’s self-cleaning, which means your fastidious feline never has to suffer the indignities of soiled litter — and you can retire your pooper scooper for good. It also has an app to track your cat’s bathroom habits and remotely start a clean cycle. Plus, the high-tech feline bathroom is aerodynamically designed to eliminate odors and litter tracking.
Litter Robot’s Self-Cleaning Litter Box With Wi-Fi is a great choice for multi-cat families, as the system sweeps away waste frequently, so kitties don’t feel like they’re sharing a loo.
Litter Robot Pros
- Widely considered the best litter box system on the market
- Incredible odor and litter tracking controls
Litter Robot Cons
- May be too large for smaller spaces
- Very expensive
- LITTER-ROBOT CORE ACCESSORIES BUNDLE: Includes the Litter-Robot 3 Automatic Litter Box, Litter Trap Mat (black), Fence (black), Ramp (beige), Waste Drawer Liners (25), Carbon Filters (3) & WhiskerCare
- SELF-CLEANING LITTER BOX: Never scoop again with Litter-Robot 3 Connect, the automatic, self-cleaning cat litter box. The patented sifting process automatically separates your cat's waste from the clean litter. Just empty the waste drawer when full.
#9: Petmate’s Booda Dome Clean Step Cat Litter Box
Petmate’s Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box looks like a prime piece of Tatooine real estate, making it one of the more aesthetically pleasing options on our list of the best cat litter boxes. Its unique design features stairs, which significantly reduce litter tracking, and the dome top keeps a lid on foul smells. The cherry atop the Booda Dome is its price, which falls on the less expensive end of the scale.
Booda Dome Pros
- Odor control
- Mitigates litter tracking
- Cool design
Booda Dome Cons
- May not be ideal for larger cats or smaller spaces
- Dogs may be able to get their heads in the entrance
- KEEP LITTER IN THE BOX, NOT ON THE FLOOR: Unique, patented, clean step entrance captures litter scatter by wiping cat's paws as they step. The dome litter box is 50% larger than the average cat box, but built-in handle makes it easy to clean and move.
- MINIMIZE ODOR: A charcoal filter minimizes unwanted odors to keep your home as fresh and clean as possible, even in a multi cat household. Replacement filters and litter box liners are sold separately. Also, check out our cat litter scoop and cat litter mat selection
#8: New Age Pet ecoFLEX Habitat N’ Home Litter Loo
New Age Pet’s ecoFlex Habitat N’ Home Litter Loo is for cat parents who want no part of the traditional litter box aesthetic anywhere in or near their home. This stylish feline waste container doubles as a side table, and it’s the ultimate in fancy-cat furniture. The wood is treated with a special formula that repels moisture, which keeps it intact and looking good.
The ecoFlex comes in several sizes and two colors.
ecoFLEX Habitat N’ Home Litter Loo Pros
- Double-use design makes it good for smaller spaces
ecoFLEX Habitat N’ Home Litter Loo Cons
- Assembly required
- May be more than you want to spend
- Made from ecoFLEX, the Litter Loo will never absorb any moisture! If you cat “misses”, it will never soak into the product! Simply wipe away
- Doubles as a functional end table and enclosed pet house, Resistant to moisture, warping, cracking, splitting
#7: IRIS Top-Entry Cat Litter Box
Felines who prefer a private commode experience gravitate toward top-entry litter boxes — as do design-conscience humans who appreciate the sleeker look. The IRIS Top-Entry Cat Litter Box does a great job at containing odors, and the grooved lid helps remove paw litter, which mitigates tracking. Plus, you can choose between three colors, and it comes with a value-added scooper.
- Attractive design
- Large space for kitties to do their thing
- Comes with scooper
- Not ideal for smaller cats
- May be larger than anticipated
- MADE IN USA with global materials - The IRIS USA top entry kitty litter tray offers a functional and aesthetically pleasing solution to your cat's bathroom needs. With the top entry kitty litter box, everything stays inside and out of sight, and the enclosed design lessens the prevalence of unpleasant odors in the room, something that's sure to make everyone in the family happy.
- TOP ENTRY - The top entry of the cat litter pan means more privacy for your cat, less litter spillage, and any spraying remains contained within the tall walls of the kitty litter box. It also functions to keep other pets, such as dogs, out of your cat's business, making for a stress-free environment for everyone.
#6: Bolux Foldable Cat Litter Box With Lid
The Bolux Foldable Cat Litter Box With Lid boasts a lot of bells and whistles, and it comes in six different colors. It’s the Swiss army knife of litter boxes and comes with a scooper, window, drawer, and top-entry design. Plus, the Bolux packs up flat for moves and storage. The unit’s window is great for cautious kitties who like to be aware of their surroundings, and the drawer makes clean-up a snap. Furthermore, the top-entry style diminishes litter tracking.
- Great for larger cats
- Anti-litter tracking design
- Comes with accessories
- May not be ideal for smaller spaces
- Top-entry design may not be great for smaller cats
- Assembly required
- Large space: This litter box is suitable for cats of all breeds. The large space gives the cat a comfortable environment and is more conducive to the cat’s physical and mental health.
- Easy to scoop: Our litter box is equipped with a litter scoop, which can be hung on the side of the litter box for convenient use.
#5: Omega Paw Elite’s Rocker Litter
The Omega Paw Elite Rocker Litter is a manual self-cleaning litter box. Unlike motorized options, there aren’t breakable mechanized components to worry about. Instead, just rock it to one side after Fluffy makes a deposit, and the waste sifts into a removable waste drawer. It’s a snap!
Omega has a loyal following, and many people never try another litter box brand after discovering the brand’s options.
Omega Paw Elite’s Rocker Litter Pros
- Self-cleaning without the breakable parts
- Durable plastic that lasts
Omega Paw Elite’s Rocker Litter Cons
- Large unit may not be ideal for smaller spaces
- Delivery may take a few weeks
- SELF CLEANING ELITE LITTER BOX LARGE With extra features including Integrated Litter Step, Chrome Plated Locking Clips and Accents and signature Midnight Black color.
- PATENTED SELF CLEANING SIFTING GRATE Separates waste from clean litter depositing waste in convenient pull out tray no scooping required!
#4: Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box
Petphabet’s hooded litter box comes in seven fun colors and works well in a variety of spaces. The removable top is clear, which allows skittish kitties to keep an eye out while containing odors. The high-back, low-front design is convenient for middle-aged and elderly cats, and it’s roomy enough for larger felines.
Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box Pros
- Removable lid for easy cleaning
- Roomy enough for most cats
Petphabet Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Box Cons
- Low front may not be ideal for high-spraying cats
- Low on style
- Petphabet Cat Litter Box ideal for Multiple Cat Households Even in A Studio Apartment .Two average sized cats could all sit in kitty litter boxes at the same time and have a synchronized poop fest in jumbo litter box
- Removable & Clear Top Cover. high back and lid reduces spillover.Your cats won't feel closed in or like they could be blindly ambushed with litter box for cats
#3: Litter Genie
Litter Genies are the minimalist pick on our list of the best cat litter boxes. The flexible but durable plastic unit fits perfectly in small spaces, making it an excellent choice for apartments. Plus, the carry handles simplify the cleaning process. Litter Genies aren’t your grandmother’s litter box — in fact, it’s not a box at all! But it does have high walls, which prevents litter from escaping when your kitty discreetly covers its business.
Be aware, though, that while the material is flexible, it isn’t rubber.
Litter Genie Pros
- Stylish and inexpensive
- Fits well in small spaces
- No assembly required
Litter Genie Cons
- Design doesn’t offer additional odor control
- May not be ideal for aggressive diggers
- High Walls: This litter box has high walls to prevent scatter while also protecting your cat's privacy
- Easy: The Litter Genie Cat Litter Box is easy to use, especially when paired with a Litter Genie Pail; its handles come together for convenient transport and emptying, and its round base makes for quick cleaning
#2: PetSafe’s Original ScoopFree Litter Box
PetSafe’s Original ScoopFree Litter Box is a fan favorite, and it’s earned a top spot on our list. The unit’s unique design cuts way back on litter tracking, and the motion detector monitors your kitty’s bathroom schedule. A sharp increase or decrease in usage may signal it’s time for a vet visit.
This litter box is as set-it-and-forget-it as they come. Some people go for weeks without cleaning up, making it an excellent option for people with back and bone problems. PetSafe’s proprietary litter crystals are part of the magic, but some people use other options, like pine litter.
The Original ScoopFree Litter Box comes in two colors and three designs: front entry, top entry, and coverless.
PetSafe Original ScoopFree Litter Box Pros
- Long-lasting self-cleaning
- Monitors cat activity
- Significantly reduces litter tracking
PetSafe Original ScoopFree Litter Box Cons
- A bit pricey
- Some cats don’t like the litter crystals
- Proprietary parts lead to additional costs
- Automatically removes waste: No scooping, cleaning or refilling your cat's litter box for weeks
- Unbeatable odor control: Crystal litter removes smell by absorbing urine and dehydrating solid waste
#1: Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box
Nature’s Miracle High-Sided option landed at the top of our best litter box list because it’s pleasantly affordable and checks all the boxes. It’s got three high sides, and the box design is easy to clean. Plus, the plastic is exceptionally durable. If cared for properly, it will last a long, long time.
Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box Pros
- Non-stick surface is easy to clean
- Large enough for bigger cats
- High sides guard against litter splatter
Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box Cons
- Low front may not work for all cats
- May be too big for a small space
- High sides to prevent litter scatter
- Care and cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
Good Luck Finding the Best Litter Box
We’ve laid out the 10 best cat litter boxes, and now you can decide which is best for your bundle of joy. If you’re looking for something affordable and durable until you pick the perfect contraption, go with Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box. Many people use it as a temporary option and discover it’s the best one.