Why You Need A Dog Door
Energy costs continue to rise. If you live somewhere that deals with extreme temperatures, you could be spending more money the more you open and close your door to let your pets out. A dog door can help reduce energy costs while also making it easier to let your pets outside. Dog doors give your pets the freedom to determine when they want to relieve themselves or smell the fresh air. Most options easily keep out extreme hot and cold temperatures. However, it can be difficult to determine the best dog door for cold weather.
Online shopping gives buyers access to a multitude of different options that come from all around the world. In order to decide on the best dog door for cold weather, there are certain factors to keep in mind.
Most products will group their offerings into categories depending on dog weight. They will likely provide length and width dimensions so you can accurately predict if your dog will fit through the opening. It’s important to measure accurately. As a rule, lean on the larger option if available.
Some flaps open and close via gravity, while others provide magnetic seals that help insulate. The magnetic seal can be more challenging to open, especially for shy dogs. If you are looking to really cut energy costs, an extra seal is important. However, some people prefer the classic, flappy feel of a dog door.
Dog doors are made from a range of materials–from plastic to PVC, to aluminum alloy. The structural material can play a large role in door costs. More high-end dog doors will be made of higher quality material, such as aluminum. Cheaper dog doors will obviously be made from plastic.
Each dog door brand promises different levels of weather resistance. Some dog doors promise insulation at extreme temperatures of -40 degrees. Other dog doors with sleeker designs simply cannot insulate that much. You should determine for yourselves how much you are truly looking to save on energy costs. If you don’t mind a minor draft, you will have more options to choose from.
Accessories & Warranties
Many dog doors have mounting accessories you can buy separately. For instance, most companies sell extra flaps, door mounting kits, and added security. Not to mention, only some dog door companies provide a warranty. Add-ons can play a role in the versatility of the dog door you choose.
10 Best Dog Doors for Cold Weather
PetSafe Extreme Weather Dog And Cat Door
This dog door is available in plastic and aluminum materials. It can be used by dogs of all sizes. You can easily attach the closing panel with a simple “snap on” mechanism to control when your dog has access to the outdoors. The attachment also protects against unwanted critters and intruders. The installation is seamless on doors made from wood, metal, and PVC. You can match these doors with virtually any style house–inside and out.
- Center flap insulates from extreme temperatures
- Multiple frame styles are available
- Magnetic components for easy installation
- Replacement flaps recommended
- Cannot be installed into a wall
- Maintenance required
Endura Flap Pet Door
The Endura Flap Dog Door boasts a magnetic, three-sided adjustable design. Unlike others, these doors are created with UV-retardant polyolefin polymer material that gives it sustained durability in the most extreme temperatures. This door can be installed on either the inside or outside of most doors.
- The door stays shut and sustains gusts of up to 50mph
- Claims to work in -40 degree weather
- The timid can rest assured with a 15-year warranty offer
- Not the best in rainy weather
- Extra-large dogs might compromise the durability
- Inconsistent experiences with installation
Baboni Pet Door
Most cold-weather pet doors will be somewhat pricey. The Bobani Pet Door option offers similar characteristics as most other brands for the fraction of the price. This pet door works best for adventurous dogs that are not quite as big as some other breeds. The slender, telescopic design gives your dog free access to the outdoors without having to worry about a cold draft.
- A cheap cost for an effective door
- Installed with a telescoping tunnel design for your pet
- Works best for small and medium sized dogs
- Cannot be installed to a door (must be installed to an exterior wall)
- Limited sizes
Perfect Pet All-Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door
The flaps are designed with double vinyl protection, creating a pocket of air that insulates against extreme temperatures. The All-Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door has a wide array of attachments aimed at keeping your home insulated. You can have up to 9 inches of protection against the elements. This winter dog door promises to work in all corners of the world, especially in places where energy costs are rising perpetually.
- Door guard equipped with a sliding feature making the transition between outside freedom and prevention seamless
- Made from foam-molded plastic and nylon
- A total of six different designs to choose from, all with unique features
- Wall kit sold separately
- Magnetic feature sometimes clips the two flaps together
- Dog door collects frost
- Energy efficient structural foam molded plastic
- Adjustable frame telescopes ¾-inch to 1 ¾-inch thickness
Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Pet Door
It can be difficult to find a durable, rugged cold weather dog door when your own dog is more durable and rugged than most products. The Ideal Pet Products Designer Series was crafted with extra-large dogs in mind. The flap size on this cold weather door dog is bigger than most on the market. Yet, despite their size, they are still light enough for your dog to maneuver while insulating against extreme temperatures.
- Targeted for buyers who have bigger dogs with their “super-large” option
- High-quality frame that attaches to doors and walls
- Telescoping design accompanied with two weatherproof flaps
- Not the most energy-efficient
- Smaller dogs might find the flaps too challenging to move
- Warranty not applicable when purchasing product on Amazon
Ideal Pet Products Air Seal Pet Door with Telescoping Frame
The Ideal Pet Products Air Seal Pet Door with Telescoping Frame cold weather dog door offers a simple yet aesthetically pleasing design. Its single-layer door flap is easily managed and seemingly out of the way. The unique material allows it to be more slender while still keeping extreme temperatures out of your house.
- Low maintenance, low-cost alternative to Ideal Pet Products Designer option
- For dogs up to 90 pounds
- ABS Thermoplastic frame with flaps made from weather-resistant FLEXAN
- Single flap protection
- Not ideal for buyers with more than one dog
- No additional add-ons offered
High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door
This weatherproof dog door is the perfect option for people who have small dogs in an apartment or house that has sliding glass doors. The product fits perfectly into any door jam. When assembling, no drilling is required.
- The best option for buyers with sliding glass doors
- Motor-driven door with built-in sensor to detect when your dog is approaching
- Includes a deadbolt lock for an ultra-safe feel
- Small dogs only
- Expensive to repair
- High cost
Extreme Dog Door
The Extreme Brand Dog Door is one of the most durable frames on the market. Flaps magnetically clip into place which helps insulate against extreme temperatures. This product also offers a layer of security by including extra stopping panels to keep anything unwanted out while you are away.
- Complete with an aluminum alloy frame that outlasts plastic counterparts
- The security panel is included with purchase, structured with two locking points on the inside
- This product comes with a 5-year warranty
- Flaps are not as durable as frame
- More difficult to install
- Not ideal for smaller dogs
RuffWeather Pet Door
The RuffWeather Pet Door will fit doors ranging from 3/4″ to 1-3/4″, giving it adaptability that other door frames do not possess. The large design makes it a great option for buyers with dogs around 100 pounds.
- 3-inch air pocket between vinyl flaps for insulation
- Added insulation is created by the Weatherseal and Nylon Window Pile
- The frame can adapt to multiple door sizes with its structural foam material
- Not recommended for extreme cold (e.g., -40 degrees)
- Weaker frame material
MAVRICFLEX Extreme Weather Dog Door
The MAVRIFLEX cold-resistant dog door is an ideal choice for buyers with multiple dogs. The aluminum frame protects against biting and chewing, outperforming PVC counterparts. It’s designed for longevity and simplicity, providing rugged protection with ease.
- Aluminum frame
- Flaps made from yellow-resistant material that also protects against UV rays
- Locking panel included
- Fits most breeds (not ideal for super large dogs)
- More demanding installation process
All and all, the best dog door for cold weather is the MAVRIFLEX Extreme Weather Dog Door. The aluminum structure gives it long-lasting ability, and the company extends the durability even further by providing a lifetime warranty.
Furthermore, the flaps have an aesthetic appeal with the yellow-resistant characteristic that couples as UV protection. While buyers with dogs over 120 pounds will miss out, this product services the vast majority of dogs in multiple living arrangements.