There’s nothing like coming home to the love of a furry friend after a long day at work. Yet, owning a dog that sheds everywhere can also mean more work for you. A shedding dog can leave fur on the carpet, on the furniture, or even on your bed. Dogs that shed their undercoats seasonally can make the problem even worse. A house full of loose fur is the last thing that you want to deal with when you want to kick up your feet and relax with your best friend.
Fortunately, there is no reason why your dog’s shedding problem has to remain a nuisance. Washing your dog regularly with an anti-shedding shampoo can help tame your furry friend’s loose fur before it becomes a hassle. When it comes to choosing the best dog shampoos for shedding, there are several excellent choices.
Choosing the Best Dog Shampoos for Shedding
The best dog shampoo for shedding will not only keep your pet’s shedding under control, but it will also be safe, cost-effective, and easy to use. With so many options available on the market, it is important to identify the key characteristics of any great dog shampoo for shed control.
What Goes into a Great Shed Control Shampoo?
You will want a dog shampoo that is specially formulated to reduce shedding while keeping your pet’s coat healthy and strong. It is important to get a product that is free from any additive chemicals that might harm or irritate your dog’s skin. Some dogs with especially sensitive skin might need products that are completely natural, fragrance-free, sulfate-free, and paraben-free.
Ideal Shed Control Shampoo Ingredients
In addition to avoiding harsh chemicals, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, and parabens, a great shampoo for shedding dogs should also include the following:
- Moisturizers – Your dog’s skin and fur will need to be replenished after the soap in the shampoo washes away their natural oils. Additionally, hydration will keep your dog’s coat looking and feeling healthy. Aloe Vera and oatmeal are two of the best natural moisturizers.
- Vitamins and Fatty Acids – Look for products that contain Vitamin E. Just as in humans, dogs need vitamin E to protect their skin’s moisture and membrane integrity. Fatty acids, specifically omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, are also critical when it comes to skincare. While your dog should be getting plenty of fatty acids in its diet, it never hurts to give your dog an extra dose with their shampoo.
- Deodorizers – This one is more for you than your dog, but you must make sure your dog’s shampoo uses natural ingredients for its deodorizer. You don’t want to sacrifice your pooch’s health and happiness for your own comfort when there’s no need to compromise either. Herbal extracts, coconut oil, and other natural extracts will all be safer for your pup than synthetic fragrances. These natural ingredients will leave your pet feeling as great as they smell.
Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo
Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shed Control Shampoo is an oatmeal-based shampoo that gently reduces shedding with a natural, pH-balanced, biodegradable formula. It contains no parabens, alcohol, phthalates, or dyes, and it is also safe for cats. The shampoo readily lathers and is easy to rinse. The formula contains vitamin B5, aloe vera, oatmeal, and natural botanicals. This is a coconut-scented shampoo.
While the coconut fragrance can be a polarizing smell for some, fans of cool, tropical breezes will love the way this makes their pet smell! Most importantly, Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shed Control Shampoo really works to control shedding, with some owners noting a shedding decrease of up to 95%
- Many pet owners experience a tremendous decrease in shedding
- Very gentle on pets with sensitive skin
- Lathers and washes out easily
- Very relaxing scent and feeling for dogs
- Great for dogs with itchy skin
- Made in the USA
- Strong coconut scent is not for everybody
- Scent reminds some people of baby powder
- Some owners still have shedding problems after use
- Oatmeal shampoo for dogs gently reduces shedding
- Enriched with vitamin B5, 100% natural oatmeal extract, and safflower
Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
This popular shampoo promotes both healthy skin and coat for your dog while reducing shedding when used as part of a monthly at-home grooming regime. FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo comes in either ready-to-use 16 oz. or concentrated gallon-sized bottles.
It contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, calendula and papaya leaf extracts, cranberry seed oil, kava extract, aloe vera, chamomile extract, and both wheat and oat proteins. It uses natural surfactants that safely and gently clean your dog’s fur.
- One of the best shed control shampoos on the market
- Pleasant herbal fragrance
- Can be combined with FURminator’s conditioner to remove undercoat and replace moisture
- Should be left on for 5 to 10 minutes
- Should only be used monthly unless used with a conditioner
- More effective shed control may be harder on some dogs’ skins
- Can leave a dog’s skin feeling dry if not used with a conditioner
TropiClean Shed Control Pet Shampoo
TropiClean’s Shed Control Pet Shampoo exfoliates and moisturizes your dog’s skin and coat, leaving your dog shiny, soft, and healthy. The lime and coconut fragrance is long-lasting and refreshing. This shampoo is free of soaps, parabens, dyes, and it is made with 98.3% naturally-derived ingredients.
The ingredients in TropiClean Shed Control Pet Shampoo include purified water, oatmeal, coconut-based cleanser, aloe vera extract, and fragrant extracts derived from pomegranate, lime, chamomile, and blueberry. TropiClean shampoos are also 100% cruelty-free, and the bottles are made with recycled material! This shampoo excels at relieving itchy, allergic, sensitive-skinned dogs from their skin problems and shedding. It also naturally whitens the fur of white dogs without using harsh chemicals.
- All-around great de-shedding shampoo
- Moisturizes without separate conditioning
- Great for dogs with sensitive skin
- Bottle made from recycled plastic
- Scent is mild and inoffensive
- Gentle shampoo won’t wash off flea or tick treatments
- Does not reduce shedding as much as some stronger shampoos
- Scent is mild and easily overpowered by strong doggy odors
- REDUCES SHEDDING – Deshedding shampoo for dogs and cats help control unwanted shedding while exfoliating and moisturizing the skin.
- ELIMINATES DOG SMELL – Reduce smelly pet odor with the tropical lime & coconut scent of our good smelling dog shampoo.
Nature’s Miracle Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor and Shed Control Shampoo uses a special 4-in-1 formula designed to neutralize odor, deodorize, clean, and condition both skins and coats. The deodorizers and fresh pink peony scent are perfect for replacing foul odors often found on rowdy dogs who love rolling around in the mud.
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor and Shed Control Shampoo lathers and rinses easily, although the shampoo’s consistency is a bit thinner than some products. Still, it leaves dog coats feeling soft, looking shiny, and smelling nice. This shampoo is also paraben-free and dye-free and uses aloe vera, omega fatty acids, vitamin E, and a natural cocoa surfactant.
- Quality And Performance Driven Products For Your Pet
- Tested For Safety And Health
- Lathers and rinses easily
- Leaves coats soft and shiny
- Reduces shedding
- Great for neutralizing dog odor
- Pleasant natural botanical fragrance
- Cheaper price point
- Thin consistency can require a lot of shampoo for larger dogs
- Bottle can be hard to hold
- Bottle occasionally leaks when shipped
Wahl Shed Control Pet Shampoo for Animal Shedding & Dander
Great for thick, coarse coats and a variety of dogs, Wahl Shed Control Pet Shampoo for Animal Shedding dramatically reduces shedding with even a single wash. The thick lathering shampoo contains sage, lemongrass, oatmeal, and aloe. This plant-derived shampoo is designed to keep dog coats and skin healthy, which reduces shedding.
Wahl products are recommended by many vets, groomers, and other professionals. The Lemongrass and Sage scents are notable without being overpowering. Wahl notes that this shampoo is also designed to be hypoallergenic for dogs, and they use it on their own severely allergic Goldendoodle, Rocket.
- Dramatic reduction in shedding
- Plant-derived shampoo is free of PEG-80, alcohol, and parabens
- Oatmeal in shampoo reduces skin irritation and dryness
- Pleasant, but not overpowering smell
- Great for allergen-prone dogs
- Made in the USA
- Some humans can be allergic to lemongrass or sage
- Not recommended for younger puppies due to to some plant oil sensitivities
- Less prominent fragrance fades sooner than some
- Made in the USA - Our lemongrass, sage, oatmeal, & aloe pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is highly recommended to reduce shedding and dander while leaving the coat clean and refreshed
- Shed Control Formula – This lemongrass & sage scented dog shampoo is great for keeping the skin and coat healthy which means less shedding and dander to clean up. The thick lather rinses off clean, and keeps your pet looking and smelling clean
Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo
Burt’s Bees are famous for their variety of safe, natural moisturizing products meant for humans, but they also make some of the best products for dogs! Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo is pH balanced to be suitable for dogs of any age or breed, including puppies. It is 99.7% natural and does not contain sulfates, parabens, SLS, phthalates, petroleum, artificial fragrances, or colorants of any kind.
Their dog-based products also include healthy natural ingredients like oatmeal, avocado, lavender, honey, linseed oil, citric acid, and omega fatty acids. The surfactant (soap) element of the shampoo is just as natural as everything else in this wonderful product: coco betaine. Coco betaine is a natural soap derived from coconut oil, and it is well-known to be a natural anti-irritant.
- Made almost entirely from natural ingredients
- No parabens, sulfates, SLS, phthalates, petroleum, fragrances, or colorants
- Formula pH balanced for puppies or adult dogs
- Soap uses a natural anti-irritant
- Great at shed control
- Made in the USA
- Natural ingredients leave only a light lather, meaning that you must rinse extra carefully
- Very light fragrance that will quickly leave your pooch
- DID YOU KNOW DOG SKIN DIFFERS FROM HUMAN'S - Dogs' skin is less acidic than human skin, so human shampoos destroy a dog's skin protective barrier, leaving your pet vulnerable to itchy flaking
- NO. 1 PET GROOMING BRAND IN THE USA*-See why millions of pet parents entrust their pet's health and hygiene to Burt's Bees for Pets. This natural shed-control shampoo for dogs is no exception
Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo is a gently cleansing shampoo that simultaneously cleanses, exfoliates, and rejuvenates your pet’s skin and coat. Since most non-seasonal shedding is caused by unhealthy skin or coat, Shed-X has developed a product focused on infusing the skin and coat with amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants while it cleans. The result is a dog whose coat is soft, shiny, and clean.
This shampoo uses white ginger and nectarine fragrances with a long-lasting scent. The shampoo also contains flaxseed oil, grapeseed oil, oatmeal protein, and wheat protein. The lather should be left on your pooch for several minutes before rinsing to allow absorption of the oils and vitamins.
- Can be combined with a daily Shed-X dietary supplement for extra benefits to skin and coat
- Prevents shedding by promoting healthy skin and coat, rather than stripping fur with harsh chemicals
- Very gentle for dogs with easily irritated skin
- Ginger citrus scent is long-lasting and not too fragrant
- Not as strong as some de-shedding shampoos
- Not particularly designed for seasonal shedding
- Fragrance can be overwhelmed by stronger dog odors
- HELP CONTROL EXCESSIVE SHEDDING – Excessive shedding can result from unhealthy skin and coat. Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo for dogs gently cleans, releases excess hair and exfoliates to reduce shedding.
- NOURISHES THE SKIN – Shed Control Shampoo infuses your pet’s skin and coat with essential amino acids, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, Vitamins A, D and E and antioxidants. This dog shampoo promotes healthy skin and leaves the coat clean, soft and shiny.
Nature’s Specialties EZ Out Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs
Useful for both longer and shorter coats, Nature’s Specialties EZ Out Deshedding Shampoo is a biodegradable, non-toxic shampoo designed to remove undercoat shed quickly without the mess. It is safe for both dogs and cats of all breeds and specially formulated to avoid irritation and drying for your pup.
The mild shampoo blends aloe vera, silk, panthenol, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and various essential oils and fragrances. This product should be diluted with water, 16 parts water per one part shampoo. The smell is described as sweet and mild.
- Removes undercoat shedding with minimal mess when combined with brushing
- Subtle, inoffensive smell
- Gentle shampoo is non-irritating to your dog’s skin
- Lathers and rinses easily
- Leaves coat shiny and soft
- De-shedding effect lasts up to 8 weeks
- Mild smell may not cover stronger doggy odors
- May not remove as much fur as some stronger shampoos
- Should be used with conditioner for best results
- ULTRA CONCENTRATED - One 32 oz bottle dilutes up to 4 gallon with tap water. Apply direct or dilute with warm water as desired. Massage shampoo into coat from head to tail, rinse thoroughly, repeat if needed. Don't pre-dilute and use over days, weeks, months. Only dilute the amount you plan to use same day.
- REDUCES SHEDDING - This amazing Deshedding and Conditioning Shampoo will help remove the bulk of unwanted undercoat. It helps to promote healthy skin and coat while reducing excess shedding. Good for long or short coats.
Any shed control shampoo should be combined with a regular grooming routine. Even the best dog shampoos for shedding will not remove all shedding fur in one bath, but the stronger products will loosen it so that it can be brushed free later.
Since dog shedding is mainly the result of both seasonal undercoat shedding and damaged skin follicles relinquishing fur, the best product for your dog might be unique to them. However, the best overall shampoo for dog shedding for the average dog is Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shed Control Shampoo. This shampoo gently heals both the skin and coat as it cleanses. Many dog owners notice a huge decrease in shedding after the first bath with this shampoo, and many grooming professionals agree that it is outstanding for the fur, health, and happiness of their dogs.
Any of these shampoos could make a huge difference in the life of your furry best friend and reduce your daily household mess at the same time.