Spending some good quality time in the great outdoors can be one of the most exciting ways to spend your day off or weekend, and especially if you can bring your dog along.
Today, there is a wide variety of choices available for tents, and choosing the best tents for camping with dogs can prove to be a daunting task. When taking your furry friend out camping, there are several extra considerations you need to keep in mind. These include security, space, and protection for weather elements and curious paws. To help narrow down your search, we have compiled a list of the best tents for camping with dogs for you. All these tents are designed to give you and your dog peace of mind while out in the wilderness.
When buying a camping tent for you and your dogs, there are several unique factors that you need to consider. A good tent should include features that make it easier for you and your dog to be comfortably and safely sheltered in, no matter how adverse the conditions outside are. Here is a list of things you should consider before settling for a tent.
There is a wide variety of great tents for camping with dog sizes available in the market. However, they all vary in capacity. When finding the right size for you and your dog, you should consider one large enough to accommodate both you and your pup comfortably without feeling cramped inside them.
If you are planning to take more than a dog or a giant dog on a camping trip, you should get one with enough room for your belongings as well. Find one that is not too small or too big.
Another essential factor to consider is the fabric. You should find one that can handle adverse weather conditions you might find out in the wilderness. Choose a material that can withstand high winds and rain without tearing. Cheaper tents are made of thin fabrics, such as polyester. Higher-quality tents are made of durable materials, such as canvas, nylon or waterproof polyester.
You want to find a tent that will serve you for at least a few years. The tent’s durability is a significant factor, especially considering that your curios pup might be playful inside and around it. A good camping tent should be made of sturdy materials to survive the wear and tear they might experience.
One of the most popular options is a freestanding design, making it easier to transport and set up in just a few minutes.
A good tent for camping with your dog is usually built to allow ample airflow in and out and prevent condensation from building up inside. Condensation build-up can make the interiors of the tent extremely chilly, making it uncomfortable through the night. An ideal tent should feature mesh panels to allow fresh air into the tent without compromising your security or privacy.
Best Tents for Camping with Dogs
Coleman Steel Creek Fast Pitch Dome Tent
The Coleman Steel Creek tent is ideal for campers who prefer to enjoy the great outdoors rather than spending hours trying to pitch their tent. Although the tent is primarily designed for car campers, backpackers find it light and convenient to haul around.
The Coleman tent is surprisingly lightweight for a tent that can comfortably accommodate six people. It is made from Polyguard fabric, durable enough to keep the tent standing for years to come.
The tent comes with color-coded poles, which makes it easy and convenient to set up within a few minutes. An integrated E-Port makes it much easier to run electrical power into the tent without dealing with exposed wires. Like most other Coleman tents, the Steel Creek is also equipped with storage pockets to keep your belongings well-organized inside the tent without losing them.
- Easy to assemble
- Features a screened area, which is perfect for extra storage
- It can comfortably accommodate two queen-size air beds
- Mesh panels enhance airflow
- WeatherTec system to keep the interiors dry
- Poles are susceptible to breakage under extreme pressure
- Not very affordable compared to some of the other options
- 6-person dome tent features a separate screen room for insect-less lounging and extra sleeping space
- Fast Pitch tent design sets up in about 7 minutes
Coleman WeatherMaster Tent with Screen Room
The Coleman WeatherMaster tent is designed to provide sturdy shelter for both yourself and your pup when you go out on that long-awaited camping trip. The large tent can accommodate up to 6 people, which means you can bring the family along.
Hinged doors offer easy access in and out of the tent without spending time zipping it up. It is also equipped with a screen room for enhanced ventilation. The screen room can be the perfect spot for your furry friend to spend the night on warmer nights. Storage pockets integrated into the tent make it much easier for you to store your belongings and keep them organized and out of the way.
If you prefer some glamping instead of traditional camping, the Coleman tent is equipped with an E-Port that lets you conveniently run an extension cord through to bring electrical power into the tent.
- Protected seams for increased weather resistance
- A wind-strong frame for enhance wind-response
- Waterproof floors to keep the tent dry at all times
- Weather-resistant fabric
- Might be too large if you don’t plan on bringing a lot of people for the trip
- Poles might bend when exposed to extremely hot temperatures
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen-size airbeds.Hinged door for easy entry and exit. Angled window keeps the rain out when the windows are openEasy setup in about 20 minutes
- Separate floorless screen room offers bug-free lounging
Core 9-Person Cabin Tent
Core is known for making well-made camping equipment. Their 9-person cabin tent is no exception. This tent features an easy-to-use system to set up and take down the test, which means setup and takedown only take a couple of minutes.
Additionally, with a 9-person capacity, this is a great tent for camping with your dog especially if you have larger dogs. This tent has enough space for multiple people, equipment, as well as multiple dogs (depending on their size).
- Roomy and comfortable
- Quite affordable
- Quick set up and takedown
- Rainproof fabric
- Indoor pockets to hold small personal belongings
- The flat-top might hold water on extremely rainy days
Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room
The Coleman Dome tent is another great option for your camping trips. The large tent is ideal for camping trips with your family or friends. It is designed to let you enjoy the great outdoors without having to worry about bugs getting into the tent.
The Coleman tent comes with a fairly large screen room that provides extra ventilation and protects you from bugs when relaxing outside. Extended window awnings allow you to keep the windows open for enhanced air circulation without having to worry about the rain getting in. Like many other Coleman tents, the Evanston tent is also equipped with storage pockets that are conveniently sewn into the sides of the tent’s walls, to help stash your small belongings in an organized fashion.
- Easy to set up and takedown
- Roomy interiors that can fit two queen-size air beds
- Welded corners and inverted seams for weatherproof-ability
- Includes a carry bag
- Seams might wear after extended use
- The material quality is not very impressive for extreme camping
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers extra weather protection.Roomy interior: 10 x 9 feet with 5 feet 11 inch center height; Fits 2 queen-size air beds 1-year limited warranty. Shelter Center Height : 68 in
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
Mountainsmith Morrison 2-Person Tent
Unlike most of the other tents on our list, which are larger and heavier for backpacking, the Mountainsmith Morrison tent is ideal for campers who are planning on taking a hike during their camping trip.
Although it is not as large as some of the other tents, the tent is comfortable and spacious enough for you and your pup. The tent is designed with portability in mind and does not feature a lot of the extras you will find on larger tents. It features a clip-pole attachment for reduced weight and enhanced breathability.
The tent is equipped with two doors for enhanced convenience, which means that you and your dog can enter and exit from either side. Thirty-five square feet interiors are well-ventilated thanks to the large mesh wall panels. Additionally, the tent also features a bathtub floor with taped seams to ensure the interiors remain dry at all times. A removable canopy shelf provides accessible access perch to store away all your small belongings, whereas the double vestibules add about 14 square feet of extra dry storage space.
- Portable enough for extended backpacking trips
- Excellent price
- Ample interior space for you and your pup
- Mesh wall panels for enhanced ventilation
- Freestanding design for convenient setup and takedown
- Not as spacious as some of the other tents
- Tent poles may snap under extreme pressure
- Two door / Two vestibule layout
- Two person layout
Big Agnes Copper Spur Classic Tent
The Copper Spur HV UL tents are Big Agnes’s best-selling lines. They feature superior technical features and are marketed as bike-packing tents. The copper Spur has spacious interiors to accommodate you and your pup comfortably.
Built with lighter, stronger, and more sustainable fabrics, the Copper Spur is designed for durability under extreme conditions. The tent is equipped with an oversized ceiling pocket and interior loop, providing you with maximized storage options to keep all your belongings safe. Elastic webbing ensures that you can conveniently attach your helmet on top of the tent body. 12″ Shortstik Pole feature enables one to easily fold and pack it in a backpack.
- Ultralight, which makes it convenient to haul around
- Ample storage spaces
- It can comfortably accommodate up to three people
- Spacious enough for you and your dog
- Easy to set up and takedown
- Some people might find the fabric too light for extreme conditions
- THE BIKE-PACKERS DREAM - Single-track, two-track, and roadie riders rejoice; our two-door, two vestibule Copper Spur HV UL Bikepack tent is equipped with loads of bike-friendly features that add utility and luxury to your two-wheeled adventures. Now simplified setup with proprietary tent corner construction and unique TipLok Tent Buckle that combines three functions: secure pole-tip capture, rainfly attachment and tensioner, and stake-out loop.
- TRAIL READY - Don't hesitate to get dirty; This burly compression stuff sack is designed to withstand all the rigors of trail travel; Daisy-chain webbing allows for multiple bike-frame attachment configurations; 12" Shortstik Poleset is ideal for packing onto handlebars, panniers and saddlebags.
MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Tent
Mountain Safety Research (MSR) is one of the most reputable manufacturers of outdoor camping gear. Their NX 2-Person Tent is a lightweight backpacking tent with a freestanding design with pole geometry and a non-tapered floor to maximize interior space. The tent offers 29 square feet of floor area and a peak height of 39″, which is more than ample interior space for a camping trip out with your furry friend.
The Hubba Hubba NX is a durable, reliable, and high-quality tent that will serve you for many camping trips to come. Although the tent is perfect for your furry friend, you might want to consider a larger one if you have a giant dog.
- Great value for your money
- Lightweight and perfect for backpacking
- It can comfortably accommodate two adults
- Excellent customer service
- Considerably pricier than other tents on this list
- 3-season, 2-person backpacking tent that offers the most livable accommodations in a lightweight freestanding design. Floor Fabric - 30D ripstop nylon 3000mm Xtreme Shield polyurethane & DWR
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches, plus 17.5 sq. feet of vestibule area
Nemo Aurora Backpacking Tent
NEMO tents are widely acclaimed for the manufacturer’s dedication to crafting their products. If you are looking for a durable, well-crafted camping tent, this Aurora tent might be what you need. It features a vibrant design and a wide variety of comfort and convenience features to ensure that you and your pup have the time of your life in the great outdoors.
The tent has two doors both at the front and back, making it a lot easier for gear storage and access. It also comes with built-in snaps for pawprint so that your dog can comfortably join you on your next camping trip. Like many other NEMO products, the Aurora comes with a lifetime warranty, getting you great value for your money.
- Strutted vents for excellent air circulation
- Easy to set up and takedown
- Durable weatherproof material
- NEMO lifetime warranty
- Storage pockets to keep your items safe
- Considerably pricey
- NEW TENT FOR NEW ADVENTURES - It’s time to stop compromising with your camping tent. The new Aurora brings everything to the table with it’s vibrant design and unparalleled features. Lightweight materials make it a perfect backpacking tent, but it’s roomy interior screams car camping companion. Two boisterous colors and a competitive price will have you ready for whatever life throws at you.
- ROOM FOR THE WHOLE CREW - Strikingly vertical walls create a massive living space, making your 3 person tent feel like a sprawling den amidst the outdoors. No matter the season, you’ll have all the space you need to sleep comfortably through the night or even host people during inclement weather.
Wenzel Klondike 8-Person Tent
If you plan to take your large family and dog out for a weekend camping trip, this Wenzel Klondike is an excellent option. The spacious tent measures 16-feet by 11-feet, which is more than ample space to comfortably accommodate up to eight people (or six people and two dogs).
An attached screen room can be used as a picnic room, sun shelter, or storage room. The entire mesh roof and windows keep tiny insects out and allow enough air circulation. The tent is equipped with a fiberglass frame and has power corners to enhance stability in extreme weather conditions.
- Ideal for large families with more than one dog
- More than enough ample storage room
- Water-resistant coating to keep the interiors dry
- High-quality construction
- A storage duffel
- 10-year warranty against defects
- Requires a lot more time to setup
- Warranty does not cover weather damages
- 8-person tent measures 16ft x 11ft and has 6.5ft of headroom with an additional 60 square feet of in the screen room; Perfect family-sized, 3-season tent for all your adventures
- Features attached screen room that can be used as sun shelter, picnic room, gear room, or just additional space to relax in
CAMPERS 8-Person Camping Tent
The CAMPERS tent is one of the most ideal and affordable family tents on our list. The tent can comfortably fit three queen-size air mattresses or eight sleeping bags.
It is made from high-quality polyester with a polyurethane hydrostatic coating for maximized water resistance. Although the tent can handle light rain, it is not advisable to take it out during heavy rain conditions.
The CAMPERS tent includes a large mesh door, mesh tent top, and five mesh windows, which keep the bugs out while still letting fresh air in. The tent also comes with a separated curtain, which can help you divide the rooms for extra privacy. With a total weight of 17.4 pounds, you can easily carry the bag in your backpack or store it in the car.
- Easy to setup
- Durable, High-quality material
- Features a 1-year quality assurance
- It can accommodate up to 8 people and a dog
- Windproof and water-resistant
- The door only has one zipper
- The fiberglass rods might break under extreme pressure
- Not ideal for severe weather conditions
- 【Roomy for 8 People or 9-Person Family】 CAMPROS tent is the perfect family tent you’ve ever seen. With the dimension of 14 x 9 x 6(H) ft. 3 queen air mattresses or 8 sleeping bags are well fit in the tent. Ideal for family car camping or camping site.
- 【Durable & High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm polyurethane hydrostatic rated coating high-tech, the tent guarantees PU1000mm water-resistant. The tent stays completely dry under the light rain. CAMPROS tent keeps you warm and take you to sweet dreams at night. Ideal for outdoor camping, hiking, fishing in all weather.
Bushnell Shield Instant Cabin Tent
Let’s face it, setting up a camping tent can be pretty frustrating at times, and especially if you don’t have any prior experience. But why stress yourself when you can get the Bushnell 9-person instant cabin tent. The camping tent employs instant pole technology, making setting up a breeze. The poles come pre-attached to the fabric, allowing you to set up the tent in just a minute. Taking it down is similarly relatively straightforward.
The tent is equipped with a heat shield technology to block harmful UV rays from penetrating the interiors, giving your family and furry friends a comfortable camping experience. Bushnell ensures that the interiors are spacious enough to accommodate at least 8-people and a dog, with ample room to move around freely. It also features more than enough storage solutions to keep all your essential gear safely organized.
- Super easy to setup
- Ample room and tall ceilings
- Thick, durable material
- Heavy-duty zippers
- Solid build
- Can be more expensive
- INSTANT 60 SECOND SETUP TECHNOLOGY: Poles come pre-attached to the tent for quick assembly - unfold and extend leg poles until they click into position.
- HEAT SHIELD TECHNOLOGY: Features a special reflective coating on the underside of the rainfly which blocks the sun's UV rays keeping the tent darker and noticeably cooler.
Coleman Dark room Cabin Tent
This Coleman dark room tent is designed to block up to 90% of sunlight to reduce heat inside the tent, creating the perfect atmosphere for you and your pup to relax. You don’t have to worry about water leaking into the interiors on rainy nights thanks to the advanced WeatherTec system, which features tub-like floors, covered seams, and patented corner welds.
Additionally, this tent is great for large groups or smaller groups that bring more than one dog. With a capacity of 10 people, you will have lots of run in this tent for you your dog or dogs, and all your gear.
- Perfectly cool interiors
- Easy to setup
- Quite affordable
- Durable, weatherproof construction
- It can accommodate a family of five and a pup
- Heavier than many other tents
- Dark room technology: Blocks 90% of sunlight (vs. a comparable Coleman tent) so you can sleep in past sunrise.Has 1 Door and 7 Windows
- Reduces heat: For a more comfortable rest anytime of day
Coleman Montana Tent
Like we have already seen, Coleman tents are some of the most recommendable tents available in the market today, and it is no different with Coleman Montana. It features a sturdy, durable build designed to withstand various weather conditions so that you can enjoy a great camping trip with your dog no matter the time of year.
The tent comes with angled windows, which allow ample air circulation while at the same time keeping water out of the tent. A door awning provides extra weather protection and keeps the tent solidly in place during adverse weather conditions.
- Easy to set up
- Features an electrical access port
- Privacy window port
- A carry bag is also included
- Great for family car campers
- Easy to transport
- Poles might snap when put under extreme pressure
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room inside for 2 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented corner welds and inverted seams to keep water out
After going through this blog post, we take it that you have a better understanding of the best tents for camping with dogs. One important thing you should always keep in mind when choosing the right tent is how easy it is to set up and take down, especially if you don’t have a lot of experience pitching tents. It will save you a lot of trouble and time.
Although all tents mentioned on our list are suitable enough for your camping trip with your dog, the Steel Creek Fast Pitch Dome Tent is one of the most recommendable discussed above. Not only is it affordable and easy to set up, but it also features a lot of thoughtful add-ons to make your camping trip more comfortable, enjoyable, and memorable.